Thursday, November 15, 2007

Chicken with Capers & a side of Green Beans

I found this on BHG.com because I was looking for a way to use a jar of capers I had on hand. I posted the recipe, plus any changes that I made when I was trying it last night. I did a half recipe; it took about 15 minutes, I think.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 lb.)
1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
4 Tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper
1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs (I used chicken flavored stuffing & it worked, even though the crumbs weren't "fine" or anything)
8 oz. green beans, trimmed
2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 juiced (because I did a half recipe, I used just 1 lemon: half for juicing & half for slicing)
1 Tbsp. capers

Place one chicken breast half between sheets of plastic wrap. Lightly pound with flat side of meat mallet to even thickness. Repeat. (I dispensed with this step & the recipe worked fine.)
Brush chicken with mustard (I just spread some around with my finger--I'm so technical sometimes); sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper, and bread crumbs to coat. (To do this without making a huge mess, I just did the mustard, salt, pepper, & bread crumbs on one side, then put the breasts with that side down in the heated oil & did the mustard, salt, pepper, & bread crumbs on the other side. Let me know if you find an easier way to do this part!)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook 4 minutes per side or until no pink remains (170F). Transfer to plates.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet. Cook green beans in oil 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; add lemon slices the last minute. Transfer to plates.
Add juice and capers to skillet; heat through. Drizzle on chicken.
Makes 4 servings.

No comments: