Thursday, November 8, 2007

Elders' favorite chocolate chip cookies

I was printing this out for the Elders, so I thought I'd post it. These cookies have made me famous among the missionaries all over the area! I made the instructions pretty idiotproof for them, so that's why they're so verbose.

1 cup white sugar
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups butter or margarine, softened (I use shortening)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
chocolate chips, to taste (I usually use about half a bag)

· Heat oven to 350.
· In large bowl with electric mixer, beat white sugar, brown sugar, & butter (shortening) until light & fluffy (usually about 2 minutes).
· Beat in vanilla & eggs until well blended.
· Gradually beat in flour, baking soda, & salt. (I usually add the flour a cup at a time & stir for awhile in between.)
· Stir in chocolate chips.
· Drop dough onto ungreased cookie sheets by rounded tablespoonfuls (I have a cookie dough scoop from Bed, Bath, & Beyond that works great for this) 2 inches apart.
· Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown (I do 8, but your oven might be different). Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.


* HIGH ALTITUDE: Decrease shortening to 1 cup, white sugar to ¾ cup, & brown sugar to 1 ¼ cup.

No comments: