- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2/3 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or dry red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can hot chili beans
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt. Place half of beef in pan; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining beef; remove from pan.
Add 2 teaspoons oil, onion, and bell pepper to pan, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño; sauté for 1 minute. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return beef to pan.
Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.