Sunday, October 25, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Joseph and I have been looking for the perfect broccoli cheese soup for YEARS. I hate when I eat a creamy soup and I get the flour burn on the back of my throat. This soup DOES NOT do this. It is perfection. seriously.

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
From my friend Elizabeth Paul
1/2 C butter
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 Quart Half & Half
- 3 C cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 C broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 pkg frozen broccoli (or 2 small heads fresh broccoli chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tsp salt
Combine broccoli, broth and salt – bring to a boil, simmer until broccoli is cooked.
Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour gradually, whisking. Simmer and whisk for a few minutes. Add half & half four times, whisking constantly (make sure it gets thick before each addition of half & half).
Add cheese.
Add broccoli/broth/salt mixture and stir.

No comments: